Tuesday, December 30, 2008

More kids

We had a smaller group of kids yesterday and today -- only 14 of them ages 9 to 11.

I started with the circle and having the kids feed her. She was ok, with that, but not at happy as I would like to have seen her. Then I had a epiphiny -- Bonnie LOVES toys. Food is good, but toys are better.

I had the kids spread out in a line, and got a few toys. I let each kid have a turn throwing a toy for Bonnie, and got her to drop it by waving a second toy in her face. She was extremely happy -- tail up over her back, play face -- the whole 9 yards. Best of all the kids had a blast playing with and watching her.

I repeated that same exercise today, and the coolest thing was that after Bonnie lost interest in fetch she actually voluntarily ran up to some of the girls and happily invited them to pet her. (interesting that it was the girls and NOT the boys...)

I think play is the key to getting her over her shyness.

No comments:

Post a Comment