Sunday, January 11, 2009

Where are we now?

We've had good and we've had bad since last I posted...

Bonnie has certainly come out of her shell. But the bad of it is that she's really become quite reactive. She barks if she hears something out the window. She barks in my office if she hears someone coming. She barks when people stop by my office to talk to me.

I started doing time-outs with her -- in the crate she goes when the barking starts. That has been pretty effective; although she forgets from one day to the next. I've also tried to give her treats when there are noises and she doesn't bark.

I decided that she was way, way, way too bonded to me, and so was considering leaving her in the front office for a few hours. My concern was that she would bark at people at the front desk. I actually had a volunteer offer to take her for a few hours, and imagine my suprise that she did really well and didn't bark much at all.

I repeated this visit the next day and she was fine for the first 2 hours she was up there....until I walked past the office and she saw me. I could hear her screaming all the way down the hall in my office. Did I mention she's very bonded to me?

I finally decided to post her on Petfinder. It's a hard thing for me to do -- because I'm concerned about what kind of control I'll be able to have over her new home. But honestly I can't keep her. I already have 3 dogs and 4 would be too much. So she'll live with me, come to work everyday, and hopefully meet the people she's meant to live happily ever after with for the rest of her life.

No comments:

Post a Comment